We have always been very careful with members’ personal information, but the new Data Protection Act 2018 introduces the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) to UK law from 25th May 2018 and requires us to be more specific.
In simple terms we promise to keep your personal data (i.e. items of information that can identify you) safe and private, nor will we ever sell it and we will also give you ways to manage and review your data. Your privacy is legally protected. Under the law we must have a good reason for holding your personal data. We believe we both have a shared legitimate interest; without your data we will not be able to send you the membership information that you have subscribed to.
• The law also gives you rights, which we at SS&DBKA are happy to respect:
If we need to use your personal data for anything further, we will ask your permission first. You will be able to refuse to agree and we will respect your decision.
• If you want a copy of the information we hold about you we will send it to you in an accessible format within a month, normally without charge.
• If you find that there is anything inaccurate in the information, or if something changes (e.g. you move house), do please tell us and we will amend it immediately.
• We will not keep your personal data if your subscription should lapse which means if you then ask us for your personal data then we will not be able to supply anything.
• In addition, the law says we must delete your personal data if you tell us to do so. Colloquially it is called ‘the right to be forgotten’.
• If, during your subscription, you think there is some item of your personal data that we don’t need then you can require us to delete that item from our records.
You must understand that in order to send out the newsletter each month we share your name and address with the email coordinator. They use that to address the emails but they do not pass on the information. They protect your information with the same care that we do.
If you have a question about any of this, then the best person to speak to (or email) is our committee who can be reached via firstname.lastname@example.org
Adopted by committee May 2018
SSDBKA promises to:
• Collect the minimum personal data necessary to support your subscription.
• Collect only data supplied by you
• keep your personal data (i.e. items of information that can identify you) safe and private,
• never sell your personal data.
• only pass on your data to affiliated organisations such as BBKA and BDI which constitute part of your subscription.
• only pass on your personal data to other members with your permission
• also give you ways to manage and review your data.
• delete your data should your subscription end or lapse, or if you tell us to do so.