Welcome to South Staffordshire and District Beekeepers Association website
If you have come to this site looking for help with a swarm or identifying bees please follow this link
If you are here to find out about courses and having an introduction to beekeeping click here.
If you are interested in joining us click here
Hopefully you will find what you are looking for but if not please contact us by clicking here
No upcoming webinars.
BIBBA.COM where there are lots of Webinars and Zoom meetings to sort a wide range of beekeeping interests and abilities.
And the Dave Cushman website. Now owned and run by Roger Patterson. Click here
AGM 2021 Report to follow.
The SSDBKA AGM was held on Thursday 28th of March and the following were elected to form the new committee:
- President: Stuart Roberts
- Chair: Alan Greenman
- Treasurer: Julie Hamer
- Secretary: Ed Bennett
Additional Committee members
There are currently spaces on the committee which can be filled by coopting additional members if required.
- Claire George – (Membership)
- Clive Stewart – (AHAT)
- Trevor Smith – (Apiary Coordinator)
- Vacant – (Events Coordinator)
- Dayna White – (Quartermaster)
Committee meets up to 10 times a year as required.
A place has become vacant on committee, anyone interested in finding out more and getting involved please contact:
Include “Committee vacancy” in the subject.
Coronavirus – Action
Hive inspections at Shugborough and Hilton Green will take place for the time being using teams of people already spending time together in order to reduce the risks of spreading the virus however as the Government has begun to ease restrictions we are opening up inspections to a wider group of members.
All planned education events are now cancelled until further notice.
Please check the BBKA website regularly for further updates.
New pages recently added or updated:
- Newsletter :Latest Newsletter added to Library
- Product Reviews : Latest new page
- Committee Minutes : Latest minutes added
- Api-Bioxal instructions : Instructional video and powerpoint on using Api Bioaxal
- Members Apiaries : For the nosey beekeeper!
- Members Services : SSDBKA Shop!
- Amazon Smile : Fund raising for a new marquee at Shugborough
- Q&A: Recordings of the Zoom Q&A sessions for those who missed them live
- Caring for a Poly hive or Nucleus: New! help with care and repair of poly hives
Things to do in isolation! (A bit like Monty Dons jobs for the week!)
- Cleaning any used equipment
- Box Assembly
- New Frame assembly
- Adding wax to prepared frames as required. ( you can never have too many ready to go )
- Prepare swarm box and check over equipment
- Check over stored foundation, heat treat any which has “bloomed”.
- Old box cleaning and refurbishment
- Queen excluder and crown board cleaning
- Hive tool sharpening
- Checking all bee keeping tools
- Assessing this season to help:
- Produce your cunning plan for rest of the season: to include
- Increase colonies
- rear new queens
- queen assessment critereia
- swarm control
- Honey processing; Dealing with early and late rape honey
- Storing any drawn comb in a Wax Moth and vermin proof way.
- Sterilising drawn comb
- Sharpening hive tools!
- Check out BBKA website in the Resources Section, a number of new publications available including: BBKA News – Natural Varroa-Resistant Honey Bees – NEW, BBKA News – Integrated Pest Management – NEW.
- Any other suggestions gratefully received!
Member Services Launched!
Visit Member Services page for items the Association has on offer, including the cap!
So you Want to be a beekeeper?
Currently all courses are cancelled until the Corvid 19 situation is clarified. We hope to resume our programme of training next year.
2021/22 Beekeeper training opportunities here
Images from the 2019 course at last the beginners course members got to delve into to mysteries of a colony of bees.
Shugborough apiary hits the News!
Follow the link above to find out what the Shropshire has to say about beekeeping thanks to our chair Alan Greenman.