Welcome to South Staffordshire and District Beekeepers Association website
If you have come to this site looking for help with a swarm or identifying bees please follow this link
If you are here to find out about courses and having an introduction to beekeeping click here.
If you are interested in joining us click here
Hopefully you will find what you are looking for but if not please contact us by clicking here
Coronavirus – Action
Hive inspections at Shugborough and Hilton Green will take place for the time being using teams of people already spending time together in order to reduce the risks of spreading the virus.
Shugborough Estate has now reopened with restrictions.
All planned education events are now cancelled until further notice.
Please check the BBKA website regularly for further updates.
Coming up this Month.
At the Apiaries:
- Checking for stores – June Gap!
- Checking for honey to remove
- Checking for Queen cells and signs of swarm preparation
- Checking for supers for space for laying down honey
- Checking brood boxes foe space for the queen to lay
- Checking for disease and pests
- Feeding any newly created nucleus colonies or collected swarms with Light Syrup
Things to do in isolation!
Though the Spring convention, due this weekend has been cancelled it is still possible to watch Tom Seeley give his lectures. They are on YouTube, either follow this link to the BBKA website page: https://www.bbka.org.uk/spring-convention-videos
or go to either a computer, phone or smart TV which has YouTube and search for Tom Seeley. The videos posted last week are ones for the convention.
- New and recycled frame assembly & waxing
- Box Assembly
- Old box cleaning and refurbishment
- Queen excluder and crown board cleaning
- Hive tool sharpening
- Checking all bee keeping tools
- Produce your cunning plan for the rest of the season
- Honey processing; Dealing with early rape honey
- Any other suggestions gratefully received!
So you Want to be a beekeeper?
Currently all courses are cancelled until the Corvid 19 situation is clarified. We hope to resume our programme of training next year.
2020/21 Beekeeper training opportunities here
Beginning Beekeeping Course 2020 (Currently Cancelled)
Images from the 2019 course at last the beginners course members got to delve into to mysteries of a colony of bees.
Shugborough apiary hits the News!
Follow the link above to find out what the Shropshire has to say about beekeeping thanks to our chair Alan Greenman.
The SSDBKA AGM was held on Thursday 28th of March and the following were elected to form the new committee:
- President: Stuart Roberts
- Chair: Alan Greenman
- Treasurer: Barry Crossley
- Secretary: Ed Bennett
Additional Committee members
- Claire George – (Membership)
- Clive Stewart – (AHAT)
- Trevor Smith – (Apiary Coordinator)
- Wendy Woodward – (Events Coordinator)
- Dayna White – (Quatermaster)
There are currently spaces on the committee which can be filled by coopting additional members if required.
Committee meets up to 10 times a year as required.