Welcome to South Staffordshire and District Beekeepers Association website
If you have come to this site looking for help with a swarm or identifying bees please follow this link
If you are here to find out about courses and having an introduction to beekeeping click here.
If you are interested in joining us click here
Hopefully you will find what you are looking for but if not please contact us by clicking here
Coronavirus – Action
Hive inspections at Shugborough and Hilton Green will take place for the time being using teams of people already spending time together in order to reduce the risks of spreading the virus however as the Government has begun to ease restrictions we are opening up inspections to a wider group of members.
A letter from Alan Greenman (SSDBKA Chair)
To all club members.
We are thinking of opening up some sessions at Shugborough and Hilton Green for club members to attend and observe hive inspections being carried out by the three Apiary Work Group teams.
- There will also be an opportunity to ask questions.
- We will be observing the latest covid rules and regulations as regards social distancing.
- You will have to be dressed in your bee suit when you arrive as there are no changing facilities on site.
- You will also have to register and leave contact details with us in the event that we need to contact you.
- We can only accommodate small groups to start with, probably a maximum of four.
If you are interested in attending one of these sessions please can you send an email to Alan Greenman at email@example.com and ask to be added to the ‘Hive inspection List’. We will allocate places on a first come first served basis and notify you which session you can attend.
Shugborough Estate has now reopened with restrictions.
All planned education events are now cancelled until further notice.
Please check the BBKA website regularly for further updates.
New pages recently added:
- Members Apiaries : For the nosey beekeeper!
- Members Services : SSDBKA Shop!
- Amazon Smile : Fund raising for a new marquee at Shugborough
Coming up this Month.
At the Apiaries:
- Checking for stores – June/July Gap!
- Checking for honey to remove
- Checking for Queen cells and signs of swarm preparation
- Checking for supers for space for laying down honey
- Checking brood boxes for space for the queen to lay
- Checking for disease and pests
- Feeding any newly created nucleus colonies or collected swarms with Light Syrup.
- Prepare supers for late harvest. If you are taking bees to the heather or have hives near heather prepare suitable frames for heather, either using unwired foundation or sections if you have them
Things to do in isolation!
Though the Spring convention, due this weekend has been cancelled it is still possible to watch Tom Seeley give his lectures. They are on YouTube, either follow this link to the BBKA website page: https://www.bbka.org.uk/spring-convention-videos
or go to either a computer, phone or smart TV which has YouTube and search for Tom Seeley. The videos posted last week are ones for the convention.
- New and recycled frame assembly & waxing
- Box Assembly
- Old box cleaning and refurbishment
- Queen excluder and crown board cleaning
- Hive tool sharpening
- Checking all bee keeping tools
- Produce your cunning plan for the rest of the season
- Honey processing; Dealing with early and late rape honey
- Any other suggestions gratefully received!
Member Services Launched!
Visit Member Services page for items the Association has on offer, including the cap!
So you Want to be a beekeeper?
Currently all courses are cancelled until the Corvid 19 situation is clarified. We hope to resume our programme of training next year.
2020/21 Beekeeper training opportunities here
Beginning Beekeeping Course 2020 (Currently Cancelled)
Images from the 2019 course at last the beginners course members got to delve into to mysteries of a colony of bees.
Shugborough apiary hits the News!
Follow the link above to find out what the Shropshire has to say about beekeeping thanks to our chair Alan Greenman.
The SSDBKA AGM was held on Thursday 28th of March and the following were elected to form the new committee:
- President: Stuart Roberts
- Chair: Alan Greenman
- Treasurer: Barry Crossley
- Secretary: Ed Bennett
Additional Committee members
- Claire George – (Membership)
- Clive Stewart – (AHAT)
- Trevor Smith – (Apiary Coordinator)
- Wendy Woodward – (Events Coordinator)
- Dayna White – (Quatermaster)
There are currently spaces on the committee which can be filled by coopting additional members if required.
Committee meets up to 10 times a year as required.
The scourge of the failing colony……