Welcome to South Staffordshire and District Beekeepers Association website
Annual Survey 2020
The 2020 Annual Survey is now closed. Thank you to all of our members who took the time to complete the survey.
Results of the survey available here
If you have come to this site looking for help with a swarm or identifying bees please follow this link
If you are here to find out about courses and having an introduction to beekeeping click here.
If you are interested in joining us click here
Hopefully you will find what you are looking for but if not please contact us by clicking here
Something for the children?
Coronavirus – Action
Hive inspections at Shugborough and Hilton Green will take place for the time being using teams of people already spending time together in order to reduce the risks of spreading the virus however as the Government has begun to ease restrictions we are opening up inspections to a wider group of members.
All planned education events are now cancelled until further notice.
Please check the BBKA website regularly for further updates.
Membership Renewal – Now open for 2021
Email reminders for members inviting them to renew membership should have dropped into your inbox (or possibly SPAM!) on the FIRST OF DECEMBER. If you have not recieved the reminder email please contact CLAIRE GEORGE as soon as possible.
New pages recently added or updated:
- Xmas Newsletter : Xmas Newsletter added to Library
- Product Reviews : Latest new page
- Committee Minutes : Latest minutes added
- Api-Bioxal instructions : Instructional video and powerpoint on using Api Bioaxal
- Members Apiaries : For the nosey beekeeper!
- Members Services : SSDBKA Shop!
- Amazon Smile : Fund raising for a new marquee at Shugborough
- Q&A: Recordings of the Zoom Q&A sessions for those who missed them live
- Caring for a Poly hive or Nucleus: New! help with care and repair of poly hives
Coming up this Month.
At the Apiaries:
- Preparing for Spring!
- Checking for honey stores – hefting or weighing hives. About 15kg/30lbs per hive
- Feeding as required with fondant and perhaps pollen patties.
- Varroa treatment with an Oxalic acid based treatment such as ApiBioxal
- Preparing for next season!
- Cleaning and sterilising equipment
- All hive parts not in use
- Any frames which have old, manky or messed up comb or wax
- Wasp traps
- Honey extraction equipment pre storage!!
- Dealing with old comb and storing the wax produced
- Stacking boxes with drawn comb to make them vermin and wax moth proof, and weather proof of course.
- Sterilising drawn comb with asectic acid.
- Checking the catalogues and preparing a Christmas list!
- Cleaning and sterilising equipment
- RENEW YOUR MEMBERSHIP OF SSDBKA!
- If you are already on BeeBase update your profile and check out the website. If you are not signed up now is a good time
Things to do in isolation! (A bit like Monty Dons jobs for the week!)
- Cleaning any used equipment
- Box Assembly
- Old box cleaning and refurbishment
- Queen excluder and crown board cleaning
- Hive tool sharpening
- Checking all bee keeping tools
- Assessing this season to help:
- Produce your cunning plan for next season
- Honey processing; Dealing with early and late rape honey
- Storing any drawn comb in a Wax Moth and vermin proof way.
- Sterilising drawn comb
- Sharpening hive tools
- watch out for SSDBKA and Stafford Bee Group winter sessions
- Reading the catalogues paper or online with a glass of christmas cheer to hand!!!
- Check out BBKA website in the Resources Section, a number of new publications available including: BBKA News – Natural Varroa-Resistant Honey Bees – NEW, BBKA News – Integrated Pest Management – NEW.
- Any other suggestions gratefully received!
Member Services Launched!
Visit Member Services page for items the Association has on offer, including the cap!
A place has become vacant on committee, anyone interested in finding out more and getting involved please contact:
Include “Committee vacancy” in the subject.
So you Want to be a beekeeper?
Currently all courses are cancelled until the Corvid 19 situation is clarified. We hope to resume our programme of training next year.
2020/21 Beekeeper training opportunities here
Images from the 2019 course at last the beginners course members got to delve into to mysteries of a colony of bees.
Shugborough apiary hits the News!
Follow the link above to find out what the Shropshire has to say about beekeeping thanks to our chair Alan Greenman.
The SSDBKA AGM was held on Thursday 28th of March and the following were elected to form the new committee:
- President: Stuart Roberts
- Chair: Alan Greenman
- Treasurer: Barry Crossley
- Secretary: Ed Bennett
Additional Committee members
- Claire George – (Membership)
- Clive Stewart – (AHAT)
- Trevor Smith – (Apiary Coordinator)
- Vacant – (Events Coordinator)
- Dayna White – (Quatermaster)
There are currently spaces on the committee which can be filled by coopting additional members if required.
Committee meets up to 10 times a year as required.
The scourge of the failing colony……